Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Family on the 4th

We went to Portland for a wonderful family reunion over the 4th of July weekend. In the 5 days we were gone, we spent time with almost all of my extended family, and Russ even got to see his brother (who was in Portland for business - at our same hotel!) All of the Carsons were there except Lissa, Jason, and Kiera since Lissa is due to give us another niece any day!


One of the highlights of the reunion for me was a joint baby shower for my cousin and I. We're due on the same day; she's having a boy. I could not believe how many outfits I got! I absolutely love how cute and tiny the clothes are - especially the little ruffles on the bum. I also think the little polka dots, flowers, butterflies, and animals are so precious. I don't think I'll have to buy clothes for the first year, and she'll be the best dressed baby ever! :) All of my aunts and cousins were so generous! We had to split everything up in multiple suitcases to get them all home.
Blue and Pink - in honor of a baby boy and girl!
A very small sampling of the baby shower loot!

Our 6 month-old nephew, Daniel, was DEFINITELY the hit in our family. :) We all took turns holding him, playing with him, or just being around him so as not to miss a single cute moment or facial expression!
He's such a happy little guy!
Garrett and Tyler helping Daniel swim. He loved to kick and splash in the water.
The boys doing target practice
Playing volleyball with the fam
 The 4th of July!

Russ and Tyler practicing their reactions before the fireworks began.
Daniel was a champ during the fireworks. He actually wasn't phased by them at all.
Russ, Tyler, and I were supposed to fly out on Thursday afternoon, but we missed our flight! I've been on a lot of airplanes in my day and never done that before. We literally got there 1 minute late. After spending 40 minutes on the phone with Delta, Russ got us flights for the next day and despite some of the charges being waived, we'd have to pay $150 each. As I lamented about that, Tyler gets this grin on his face and decides he's going to play 'bad cop'. He spent the next 40 minutes on the phone with Delta, doing things like calling them crooks and asking why they'd just leave him behind and he sounded like some mix between a redneck and a guy from the ghetto. I kept telling him that being a jerk would take away his chances of ANY "discount" at all. Instead he ended up getting booked on the same flight as Russ and I and paying $0! Russ was shocked because he played the nice guy and still had to pay - so he spent about another 30 minutes talking to a Delta representative at the airport about the situation. The rep could NOT believe Tyler actually got the fees dropped, so he decided to help us out. Nearly 2 1/2 hours later, we left the airport, giddy because although we'd missed our flight, we had seats booked for the next day, and we didn't have to pay anything. Plus we had a great story to tell! We decided to celebrate by going out to dinner.

As a side note, to keep myself busy since school has been out, I've been working on a couple projects. I made some file folder games for my niece who just turned 3 and have been sewing bibs and burp cloths. I have lots of sewing projects planned for the baby. This has been my first solo sewing project, and it's been a lot harder than I expected, but I still love how they've turned out.

5 comments:

Amanda Impett said...

Wow what a story thankfully my first flight was uneventful. I'm so glad you had fun the shower looked fun but I'm glad I got to come later. Thanks for the sweet note that was really fast. Of course I was going to give your baby something what kind of cousin would I be if I didn't? I love your sewing projects and those little games Kiera will love them.

Jason and Lissa said...

Looks like a fun weekend! They really need to stop planning family reunions for when I'm due to have a baby! :P

Feel free to make me more burp cloths, by the way! :D

P.S. I think you meant to say nephew Daniel, not cousin Daniel.

Carson said...

So glad you got some pictures from the reunion posted; I'm not sure when I'll get that done on our blog.

I got to babysit Daniel on Wednesday while his mom and dad went to sign some more papers at the car dealership and while they went out to eat. I got some sweet pictures of Daniel on the swing in Reed and Myra's back yard.

Just have to tell you that yesterday Kiera brought over every one of the folders you made for her and wanted to do them for me. She knows ALL of the matches; the hardest one for her was the counting sheep. It's so cute to watch her counting the dots on the sheep--she usually gets the amount right. She calls the shepherd in the picture "Mary", as in "Mary had a little Lamb."

Bonnie and Brian said...

That's crazy you missed your flight! I'm glad you had a great baby shower :) Your cousin Daniel is Aspen's age yet he looks so much more grown up! I think she's just a little gal. Can't believe she's 6 months now, she seems more like 4 months in size. We'll find out monday. Cool folder games and sewing projects- It still feels like you're having a boy for some reason, crazy! I have to keep telling myself you're having a GIRL! So silly. We so wish we could be with you guys all the time, I feel so detached ... or Lee deprived!

Stinson Clan said...

For the record, I think it's funny that Daniel has more hair than Tyler.