Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

June (ish)

I can't believe it's almost August! That means Russ's internship is almost over, and we'll be back in Minnesota before we know it. We've really had a wonderful time here in Pleasanton. The weather is beautiful every day, there are parks nearby, our ward has been great, every other car is a BMW (seriously), pretty much anywhere we like to shop is within a 10 minute drive...the perfect summer. On top of the great day-to-day stuff, there are lots of really fun things to do and see in the area. We tried to do something every weekend, but there are still SO many things we haven't been able to do.

Our first outing was to the Oakland Temple where we met up with our dear friends, the Stapleys, who happened to be in town that weekend for a wedding. We caught up with them, and ate lunch at Fentons Creamery in Oakland. The Oakland Temple is gorgeous, and has an incredible view of both Oakland and San Francisco.

The next weekend, we went to an Oakland A's baseball game. Russ was excited to go to a Major League game.

Our first trip together into San Francisco was the next weekend, where we met up with our friends from Provo, the Hunsakers, and explored Chinatown. It turned out to be a really hilarious night filled with strange circumstances. Sophia was really excited about getting to ride the train again, even though we didn't get home until about 10pm. Being on the BART that late meant we rode with some interesting people. I heard at least 3 people say a variation of, "I *think* I'm sober enough to drive home."

The last weekend in June, my parents flew in from Virginia. After we picked them up, we went to see the Golden Gate Bridge. That was our first experience driving into the city. Man. Traffic was crazy, the houses are packed in close together, and some of those roads were so steep, I wasn't sure if we were going to make it, but Russ drove like a pro. After being back to the city again a couple times and seeing how hazy it usually is, we're really lucky we were there on such a clear day!

During my parent's visit, we also explored Fisherman's Warf and"Postcard Row" - which is a row of Victorian houses on a hill. It was probably my favorite thing I've seen in San Francisco.
 I was a little nervous when this random guy jumped into our picture, but...I guess the sign could've said something much worse. Always find some weirdos in a big city, right?
Alcatraz and the sunglasses family

My parents, Sophia, and I began what ended up being a 2.5 day drive up the coast to Portland, Oregon. Along the way we drove through "the Avenue of the Giants" to see the Redwood trees, stopped by the Oregon House of Mystery where strange things happen (like a ball rolling uphill), and swam at the hotels we stopped at.
Mom entertained Sophia for most of the drive, which was really nice because she is not very good at napping in the car.
Beautiful Mt Shasta
Sophia was unimpressed with the Oregon Vortex taking away from her nap time, so she chatted with a bear in the gift shop.
Ready to go swimming!
Grandparents really do spoil grandkids. :) Just tonight, Sophia ran over to the cart in our hotel and wanted a ride.
 I titled this post June-ish because by this point, it was the 4th of July. This 4th of July was really special for our family, not really because of the holiday itself, but because I got to see my whole family! Everyone drove or flew in and met at my Grandma Carson's house in Vancouver on the 4th.
My wonderful Grandma Carson.
4 of the 5 cousins...they're all too little to realize they're cousins, but they still had fun together!
2 of my aunts, 3 granddaughters, Rachel, and I all have July birthdays, so 4th of July parties double as the July birthday party. (Rachel had her baby today too, so technically, Andrew is in this picture, and he's ALSO a July birthday!)

 The main reason we all congregated was for the Christensen Family Reunion. We do them every other summer, but our family has gotten big enough and spread out enough that we (or at least I) enjoy spending time with my own family - even though it is really fun to catch up with our cousins, aunts and uncles. We spent time in the pool, threw Rachel a baby shower, and all went to church. Our extended family filled the first 4 rows at church. It was pretty incredible to think about my grandparents starting off as a family of 2 now being so many.
Sophia's favorite skirt. (and me tripping over Savannah in the background)
Rachel's Baby Shower. Adri's successful photo bomb.
 It's so hard to get a good picture of so many people (especially little people), but we had to try!
I helped my mom come up with the clothes for the picture, and I literally designed everything around wanting to wear my pink pants. So I ignored my screaming child and made sure my pants were a prominent feature in this picture. hahaha
This picture is not what it appears. 2 people's faces got photoshopped...
A good picture of the Lees, if I may say so myself
Note to self, do the grandchild picture at the beginning, BEFORE they're all suffering emotional breakdowns.
See what I mean?
The original Carson family.
My sweet Grandma and Grandpa Christensen.
July was just as action-packed and picture-packed as June. I'll post about it another night. Like I said, perfect summer.

3 comments:

Garrett and Krystal said...

Wow, you guys did do lots of fun things! It was so good to see you in July. :)

Stinson Clan said...

You're having a great summer!

Carson said...

I'm very frustrated that I wrote a three-paragraph comment this morning that somehow ended up disappearing into thin air because I wasn't signed into our blogger account!!

If I can remember what I said, it was along the lines of that I'm glad you can have a positive attitude about living in a two-room hotel room for three months with a toddler and call it a perfect summer!

We sure enjoyed our time we had visiting with you, and especially loved swimming in the pool with Sophia. I'm glad the yellow tutu is her favorite skirt because she looks quite adorable in it.