Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

July

Shortly after my parents visited and we went to the family reunion, I had my birthday! I didn't take nearly enough pictures, but it was a fun-filled day. Sophia and I met up with Ashley, Ava and Gavin to play at the park, Rachel joined us for lunch, and Russ got home from work a little early to take me on a date. He got a babysitter and we rode into the city for dinner, rode the "Historic Streetcar" along the Warf (which is one of the things I really wanted to do while I was here), and walked around the city. I also heard from my family and got some time in the afternoon to read a book - always my favorite part of Sophia's nap. It was a really nice day.
Sophia LOVED having a friend come over. I don't think I'd ever seen her so happy to show off her toys. They even posed with Sophia's binkys!
A couple days after my birthday, we had our second set of visitors: Russ's parents! They came for 3.5 days, and we kept them busy. :) First, we went to tour the Jelly Belly factory. I remember watching Mr. Roger's Neighborhood as a kid and being fascinated with watching how things are made, so this was especially cool for me. It was also neat to see several giant pictures people have made out of jelly beans. There was a line for the tour, so Sophia kept busy by finding the letters "S" and "O" on signs (the 2 letters she knows best), and buckling/unbuckling her stroller. We're so lucky that she's happy and generally easygoing!
The jelly beans hanging from the ceiling were cute!
Sophia had a lot of jelly beans at the factory, so once I accepted that she wasn't going to take a nap that day, we headed over to the Oakland Temple.
Grandma Lee kindly entertained Sophia while Russ and I went to the Family History Center for our ward assignment.
When we went into the Visitor's Center, Grandpa Lee took Sophia over to the Cristus statue and told Sophia, "That's Jesus" and she immediately signed "friend". It was one of those moments when you get goosebumps, you started to tear up, and all the sister missionaries in the room go "awww".

*We interrupt this blog post for some cute pictures of Sophia from throughout the month:
Sophia got these "scripture specs" in nursery...also, I just noticed she's not wearing any pants in this picture. The wanting-to-be-naked phase has started a little bit this month
An artistic shot :)
If one bow is good, 8 must be awesome.
I love taking pictures of Sophia at the temple because the grounds are so beautiful. In the second picture here, she spotted an airplane up in the sky. I'm always impressed how quickly she hears and notices airplanes.
Baby's 1st cookie dough beater

*Now back to your regular update.

On Saturday, we headed into the city again to show Russ's parents Fisherman's Warf. This second time going, we made sure to go all the way to Ghiradelli Square and have sundaes! (When you go into the chocolate shops, they give you a small square of chocolate. Sophia ate hers, snatched Russ's, and tried to steal mine, too. I guess she loves chocolate as much as her mommy does)
Sophia (eating chocolate) with the $60, 5lb chocolate bar.
There's no way we could've eaten one each. We shared the chocolate one, but for the picture, it looked cooler to seem like we each had our own :)
We also tried to see Coit Tower and the famously crooked Lombard Street while we were there, but both of those ended up being way too busy to do more than drive past on a Saturday afternoon. While Russ was in traffic, I did run up to the tower, which gives a 360 view of the city, and snapped a couple pictures.
Coit Tower
Showing some of the steep hills in crowded San Francisco
Alcatraz
The Golden Gate Bridge covered by haze
We ended the month with a trip to Lake Tahoe, and the first night I'd ever been away from Sophia! The interns went on a team-building trip, and I was lucky enough to be invited to tag along! We stayed in a resort hotel and went paddleboarding in the morning. I was nervous about paddleboarding, but it wasn't as hard to stay on as I thought it'd be, and Lake Tahoe is beautiful! I'm so glad we got a chance to go. And although I was worried about Sophia, and it was, for lack of a better word, weird to do things without her, she had a really great time staying with a family in the ward with 3 little girls. She didn't cry when I dropped her off, and she was excited to see us the next day, so that's what I'd call a success!

We keep checking things off of our San Francisco bucket list! We've got a few more things, and a few more weeks...

4 comments:

Carson said...

Love your looonnnggg blog. Looks like you all are having a great time in the Bay Area!

Lissa said...

You sure lucked out having such an easy-going daughter! Love all the pictures. You guys are sure taking advantage of your time there!

Steven and Brittany said...

Looks like you guys are having such a fun summer! I bet you will be bummed to come back here!

Garrett and Krystal said...

Loved all those cute and fun pictures! Looks like you are having a good time!