Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Have I Got a Story For You!

This is my last week at the Telefund but I almost want to just not go back anymore at all because of a call I had last night. It was the most horrible thing I've ever experienced in my life...
We're calling masters students this week and I was on the phone with some woman from American Fork for about 5 minutes because she refused to give the phone to her husband. During the course of the call she said things like this

me: Hi. May I please speak with so and so?
her: What is your name and reason for calling?
me: I'm Adri Lee and I'm calling on behalf of the Marriott school.
her: .....
me: we just wanted to call and update his university records and give him some updates about the school
her: what school?
me: The Marriott Business School at BYU
her: I don't get it. Why do you want to talk to my husband. He went to BYU
me: Yes. And he got a masters in Accountancy.
her: So why do you want to talk to my husband?
me: To give him some updates and check his address.
her: You know he's like 44, right?
me: Well we're calling the graduates, not the current students
(this went on for a while - she sounded really stupid and dense)
her: Are you a student or is this what you're stuck doing the rest of your life?
me: No...I'm a student.
her: Do you seriously think anyone cares about BYU?
me: Well I guess we hope they do.
her: Well they don't and as his wife I am leery of this call.
me: Is there anything I can do to convince you that we are calling from the Marriott school? Any questions I could answer?
her: IF THIS IS SOME GIRL FROM ONE OF HIS CLASSES TRYING TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MY HUSBAND....WE ARE MARRIED IN THE TEMPLE. HE IS COMMITTED TO ME!
me: (totally confused at this point) uh I'm sorry. I'm married in the temple myself.
her: HOW OLD ARE YOU?
me: 20
her: WHAT!?! Do you have children!?
me: No. I got married this summer. Listen. If your husband can't talk, we'll just mail him a Business School magazine to the address we already have....
her: You're married. And you're 20. Oh my gosh, you made such a big mistake.

And then she hung up. It's a good thing she did because I was about to. I just sat back for a minute in shock - and then I started crying. I can't believe anyone would treat someone like that! I didn't even mention we were calling to have her husband give money to the Marriott School. Who KNOWS what she would have said about that.
But whatever shock I felt last night is now anger. I am SO tempted to go in there today and find her phone number and call her on my own time or go to her house and punch her in the face. She obviously has some sort of mental issues and at the VERY least she is just extremely insecure in her marriage. Man. I can see why her husband married her - what. a. gem.

The whole time I was wondering if it was a joke and at any moment she'd start laughing, but...no. So now I wonder who she thinks she is to proclaim to me that she's married in the temple but she treated someone like that. I guess it was easier to yell at someone over the phone.

I've had some CRAZY experiences at the telefund, but NOTHING like that, and I just pray that no one else ever has an experience like that.

No comments: