Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Had a Good Day

This post is a follow-up to the bad day I had about a month and a half ago. I had applied for a teaching internship and was turned down. It was really disappointing at the time, but since then I have enjoyed not having to student teach this Spring Term and the idea of graduating in December isn't a bad thing.

Well. Last week I (and about 20 other girls who also signed up to be alternates)
got an e-mail saying a position opened up for a 1st grade internship and that we could interview for it if we wanted to. I can only teach K-3 and this was 1st grade, which was a plus. Other internships may open before the end of the summer, but they could be in grades I couldn't teach. The only downside was that the position was in Santaquin - about 24 miles away. I thought and prayed about it and decided to give it a shot.

So on Monday I went to interview, along with 10 other girls...for this one spot. The interview was very different from the last one I went to. They basically just asked me what my strengths were, what I would do for the students and the parents, and about 2 other similar questions. I left and they told me they would e-mail me their decision by Tuesday. I walked home and talked to my sister, analyzing the interview and my responses, and as soon as I walked in the door, I got a phone call. It was the principal telling me that as soon as I left they knew I was the one they wanted to hire so why wait until tomorrow! IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST PHONE CALLS OF MY LIFE! :)

Apparently one of my teachers went there before my interview and spoke on my behalf, apparently saying positive things. Plus, the Nebo School District liaison (Russ works with her husband) said good things about me too - I think. SO I feel very grateful not only to have gotten the position, but to know people who probably really influenced their decision more than anything I said or did. I also feel for the girls who didn't get this spot. It's really hard to get turned down for the thing you have been studying hard to do, and now they have to keep doing this again all summer - which was my biggest fear about not getting it.



Now I am a first grade teacher at Orchard Hills Elementary in Santaquin, Utah! I am really nervous now and feel like I have no idea what I'm doing! BUT the real point of this post is that I wanted to just say that things really do work out how they are supposed to. I know a lot of people told me that after I got turned down. And I still got a position, but if I would have gotten the internship when I applied for it in March I would have been student teaching right now. Since I didn't get it, I have been able to...

1. Take astronomy and floral design completely for my enjoyment


My first flower arrangement

2. I am in a cake decorating class (at a craft store here, not BYU) that I know I wouldn't have had time to take if I was student teaching right now.


My first cake

3. Also, I have been able to continue to work for Brother Cowan. I don't know if I have ever mentioned working for him here on the blog, but he is a professor at BYU and is blind. I have worked with him for about a year so I know the routines and where things are, etc. I am his only assistant right now (usually there are 2). If I was student teaching, I would have had to quit my job and he would have had to get a completely new assistant and "train" them and get to know them (last summer when I was new he still had another, more experienced, assistant).

So for those reasons and many many more (I'm sure), I am glad that I am not as in charge of my life as I sometimes want to be.

7 comments:

Amanda Impett said...

I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! I'm sure you will be a wonderful teacher Adri the kids will be lucky to have you.

Carson said...

Hurrah for Adri!! I'm so excited for you. The picture of your first cake didn't post, for some reason. I can't wait to see it. BTW, have you noticed that Lissa and I now have new backgrounds on our blogs from the website you used??

Brianna said...

Congrats Adri! That's so awesome! When do you start?

Jason and Lissa said...

Hooray for the new teacher, Mrs. Lee! Nice cake, by the way. And you totally have to teach me floral arrangements!

Bonnie & Brian said...

Hey! Hope you got my cake in your email! I'm (we're) really excited for you!!!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! Lissa and I enjoy being right. :) I'm happy everything seems to have worked out for the best.

Melanie said...

YEA Adri! I knew things would work out for you! And look at all the yummy cake you have been making in the mean time! You are so talented and always so positive! Good luck!